Your App Lady
Series 1 Episode 32
Welcome to series 1 episode 32 of the Your App Lady Podcast!
All about apps and tech that I love and use every day.
On each episode, I’ll talk about recent tech news, recommend apps that I use myself and leave you with a great tech tip.
Amazon’s Fire 7 and Fire HD 8 tablets can now be used as hands-free Alexa speakers. This feature is currently available on the Fire HD 10. Amazon is expanding it to other tablets. Both compatible models, the Fire 7 and Fire HD 8, were released last year. Once the latest software update rolls out to the devices, you will be able to use Alexa’s full array of voice commands whenever the tablet’s screen is turned on.
For more information:
Featured App: Apps Gone Free
Available for iOS devices (iPhones and iPads).
I use this app daily to find high quality free apps. While every day hundreds of apps reduce their price to free for a limited time, many of them are not worth downloading. AppsGoneFree finds the apps worth trying out. Each app includes a summary and a link to the App Store. The app features 4-6 apps a day.
How to Dispose of An Old Laptop
If you can’t give away or sell an old laptop, here are directions on how to safely get rid of it.
Step One: Back Up Your Computer
Store your files on an external hard drive or back up your data using iCloud if you have a Mac.
Step Two: Sign Out of Everything
Sign out of all your applications and software. Make sure none of your login information is stored in your keychain or any other app or software on the computer. Then wipe your hard drive. Here’s the full guide to deleting everything off your computer.
Step Three: Recycle Your Device at an E-Waste Location.
- Apple Recycling Program: Apple accepts old devices online at any Apple store. If your Mac or PC has any monetary value, you’ll receive an Apple gift card in the amount it’s worth.
- Gazelle: Gazelle is another reliable buyer that will take your old devices. Similar to the process above, all you have to do is enter your laptop’s serial number and ship it to its processing center using the prepaid shipping supplies they send to you.
- Best Buy: You have the option of dropping off your old laptop at any Best Buy store for proper disposal.
- Staples: If your computer has any value, you have the option of trading it in store for a Staples eCash Card, or sending it in through an online process.
- Goodwill: Drop off your laptop to any Goodwill collection center. According to its site, “One working computer given to Goodwill is worth 5.3 hours of career counseling.”
- Find a local drop-off center in your area: Do a quick search to see if any nearby stores accept e-waste. Many manufacturers, office supply retailers, and even hardware stores will be able to take your laptop off your hands.
For more information:
Thanks for listening to Your App Lady today!
Share the podcast with your friends, they’ll thank you for it!
Get our newsletter and stay up to date by clicking here.
Betsy can guide you through designing (or redesigning) your app or websites. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-542-8118 to get details about working with her.
Voice over work by John Swasey – VO Producer -281-794-6551